Hello, from the frozen wilderness of New York? Okay, so it’s not exactly a “wilderness,” and it is somewhat more “slushified” than frozen at this point, but I’m going with it. Is your body ready for what happened this week in geek? (Fair warning: this was a good week for comic book adaptation situations)
COMIC BOOK ADAPTATION SITUATIONS GEEKING:
I love comic book adaptations more than Damian Wayne secretly loves kittens. They’ve done a lot to bring nerd culture into the pop culture spotlight in the past few years, and I like that. From Iron Fist to “Strange” dance moves, some good stuff happened:
- THE FIRST COMPLETE TRAILER FOR IRON FIST WAS RELEASED AND I AM SO EXCITED!!! First, go and watch it HERE. Okay, now we can talk. Did you see Colleen Wing? She fights martial arts like a champ and totally DGAF what anyone thinks! And The Hand–the evil group of ninja villains, for those who need a refresher–is back! Also, I think Ser Loras Tyrell makes a pretty great Danny Rand. Of course, Claire is a constant gem. Basically, I’m stoked for this show, and I can’t wait to see all the different things that will be punched into explosions, but am waiting to see Finn Jones sport that amazing green spandex body suit of a costume.
- In other exciting trailers” news, the trailer for the new Teen Titans: The Judas Contract flick dropped this week (see it here), and it also looks excellent. Deathstroke is there being a meanie, Raven does some super-powered sorcery (she’s my fav, tbh), Nightwing is there (another fav), and Robin admits to rarely bathing (I relate to that small murderous child more than I should admit). In short, it’s gonna be good.
- News I did not expect to hear this week: Coolio has confirmed that he would have played Scarecrow in the next Joel Schumacher Batman movie, if only the studio hadn’t scrapped it. I have a soft spot for those 90’s-tacular films, so I would not have minded seeing another one just to get a few scenes of Coolio as a villain based around a farmhouse prop to scare birds away…
- Lastly, some of the Doctor Strange gag reel was revealed on Nerdist.com, and while Benedict Cumberbatch does bust out some fantastic dance moves, I still have a tough time getting used to hearing him speak in an American accent. That said, this seems like a good time to remind everyone that Harper Voyager author C. Robert Cargill (The Queen of the Dark Things) was one of the script writers of Doctor Strange.
Henceforth, Netflix shall be known as The Home of the Geeks
- Netflix announced a show based around the popular vampire video game Castlevania for 2017. That’s pretty neat, and I do love me some games. I hope we can start seeing more game-to-show adaptations, as I think there’s a lot of potential there.
- Also, Netflix is rebooting The Magic School Bus, which is amazing in and of itself, but what’s especially exciting right now is that Kate McKinnon is set to play Ms. Frizzle. YAS! But who will play Liz?
- Congratulations to Richard Kadrey’s THE EVERYTHING BOX! It was nominated for a 2017 Audie Award, and we are so proud!
- In case you hadn’t heard, we’ve partnered up with several extremely cool organizations to launch this equally extremely cool sweepstakes, to give one lucky winner a chance to go to a fan convention in Orlando Florida, and have a one-on-one meeting with Becky Chambers. More details here.
Thus concludes the latest This Week in Geek. Not with a bang, but with a bunch of Storm Troopers dancing for some reason.